The following is an excerpt from “The Top 10 Trends in Mobile Computing” article, originally published on April 4, 2016 in Techopedia.
The mobile computing industry has been a dynamic place for quite some time with a lot of new trends and innovations. With the mobile landscape constantly changing, we decided to take a look at some of the top trends in the industry.
1. Increase in Demand for Enterprise Business Intelligence (BI) Mobile Apps
Mobile computing companies are going to focus a lot on enterprise business intelligence (BI) mobile apps. According to Brad Peters, the chief product officer of Birst Inc, a BI, analytics and cloud computing company,
“Mobile BI is no longer just a nice-to-have but is quickly becoming the principal way business users demand to consume analytics, what makes mobile BI so compelling is that it can be woven much more closely into where work is actually getting done, away from the office.”
The following factors are driving the demand for BI mobile apps:
- Increased use of mobile devices in enterprise. According to IDC, mobile device sales for business had reached 165.6 million units by 2014.
- Business users are becoming more demanding of mobile device apps. There is increasing demand for mobile analytics, ETL applications, enterprise reporting, ad hoc querying and mobile dashboards, to mention just a few examples.
- With the rise in telecommuting or work-from-anywhere facilities, mobile BI apps are going to become more and more important. According to IDC estimates, at the end of 2013, the mobile worker population in the world had already reached 1.3 billion, equaling 37.2 percent of the total workforce.
- Decreasing cost of BI mobile app development is an incentive for development. Mobile enterprise application platforms (MEAPs) enable developers to develop their applications once and deploy them on diverse platforms. Previously, any customization had to be done keeping in mind requirements for multiple platforms, which was costly and time consuming.
Click here to read the full article.